Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Following Me


This post has nothing inciteful, funny, or thought provoking. Whatsoever. It was just something that i experienced today that i had never witnessed before in my life. It was something that i have heard a lot about, but nothing that was ever real to me (postmodernism). Here's what happened:

I was at work, mopping the ridiculously large floor. I had just kicked 6 people out, 4 of said loiterers came in at 2:58 (closing time is 3:00). That is a fairly typical day for anyone who works any sort of closing shift anywhere. That was not the odd part of my day. Here is where it gets strange:

Two of the previously mentioned "ejected," one man and one woman, had been sitting on a couch discussing business plans (or something) for the past 3 hours (my entire crappy shift). Since i do everything in the front of the store i.e. sweep, mop, trash, tables, etc., i eavesdrop on customers-- it keeps me sane (buyer beware). So i was doing my typical eavesdropping half sweep, half-hearted routine around the restaurant when i overheard a conversation in which the woman was basically taking the man to school. Once again, this is not the uncommon part of my workday. Actually this is quite typical. Nothing amounted from my snooping, leaving me disgruntled and disappointed. If you come into Columbia Traders and stay til closing time, at least talk about something interesting to keep me entertained as I dance around you with my baby sized broom.

Let's fast forward to the removal process. I tell the two consumers that we close at 3:00 and express my sympathy as to how ridiculous that actually is but nonetheless ask them to depart from the den setting found near the back. The man quickly gathers his belongings and scoots out the door. I move to the other stragglers in the store and politely ask them to get out so i can go home. They leave and i start to mop. This brings us back to where i started. Mopping after being irritated due to the insane 2:58 business. Anyway...

When i mop, i tend to gauck. Typically outside. I also dream of what other things i could be doing if i were not couped up in the spacious cage of Columbia Traders. During my glaring session, i notice the man sitting in his white, mom-version of a Suburban which i am sure was filled with capri-sun and soccer balls. What this man is doing is quite pathetic. You see, the woman with whom he was engaged in dialogue for a non-exaggerated 3 hours was still in the store (she went to the bathroom or something). So, instead of concluding the three hour meeting that he barely escaped with his manhood by going home and saulking due to his inability to control a conversation, he sits in his car, idling, glimpsing back into the store to catch site of the woman he just left.

I continued to mop. He continued to stare.
I finished mopping and watched the creeper cruise away.

This man was a straight-up creeper. A real life, non-Facebook creeper. Creeping in front of Columbia Traders. I am unsure if the woman saw the man stewing in his SUV, but she slipped out the back door and avoided another absurdly long encounter with this "man."

This actually disturbed me and i never want to see it again. Ever. In fact, i am nervous to look outside now out of fear that i may face the reality of someone staring at me as i seep and mop. So thank you Creeper-man for ruining the only place that gives me joy at work: OUTSIDE.


1 comment:

  1. Kyle! love this story..very creative and visual in your story-telling, which i quite enjoy. and the picture that this story paints makes me laugh

    ReplyDelete